Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year Celebrations 2012

Hooray!!! I think it will be a wonderful year ahead as 2012 is year of a Water Dragon. Zodiac interpretation says Dragons are mystical creatures that brings energy and strength. And each believes and hopes that the energy will be showered to everybody throughout the year. As traditionally done, first lunar day in the calendar is declared as holiday in so many countries particularly in Asia, so many can really enjoy the Chinese New Year celebration and witness different practices and traditions when embracing this wonderful day.

Today, I took the liberty of visiting Chinatown here in SG, I have been hearing so much about it and I was really seeking time to actually visit the place and can take a glimpse of the prehistoric backgrounds of the SG roots. When I reached there, I studied every building from color to architectures including symbols and calligraphy. And apparently it simply made me astonished as it seems that the ambiance really took me to the past letting me feel the ethnic neighborhood of distinctly Chinese cultural elements. Although it was drizzling but that won't stop lots of people from taking pictures and buying souvenirs from gift shops. Every corner there's extinctions of Chinatown Heritage Centre mostly located at the top part of the building as below it, they have added amusement for item souvenir shops and restaurants. The sight seeing made me thirsty. But my eye was being caught by that Thailand's icy coconut juice display and I deliberately tried it. And yeah, such a refreshing. It was an amusing day indeed!

Well definitely I can never leave there without bringing picture souvenirs with me and so from time to time there's flashing of my digital camera finding perfect angles of capturing. It really gave me thoughts of acquiring a DSLR camera. Hmmm, I'll just see I can still allocate budget for that besides, photography is so much fun and it's also an interesting way of expressing one's innermost desire and interest. We'll see. Anyway, below are some of the pictures that I have. But I just couldn't paste everything here so I just came up with some like of a page setup so that I can make you see different captures without occupying much space in my blog page..

So here's hoping that I was able to cite my experience here perfectly as I am actually imagining myself now hugging my pillow and retiring my mind to slumber land. I just don't want to wait for the next day to blog my tour earlier as I don't want to escape the feeling of amusement when blogging the whole experience. Well anyway, if you happen to visit SG, don't forget to put Chinatown on your tour list.


Goodnight!






From Wikipedia: Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Singapore
 
  • Pagoda Street takes its name from the Sri Mariamman Temple. During the 1850s and 1880s, the street was one of the centres of slave traffic. It also had its share of coolie quarters and opium smoking dens. One of the traders was Kwong Hup Yuen who, it is thought, occupied No. 37, and after whom Pagoda Street is often referred to today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment