Thursday, January 5, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012

Last December 17, 2011, I went back to my hometown to spend my Christmas and New Year with my love ones. Such a very heart breaking events when I entered the city's vicinity, I have found out that while I was in the plane, storm "Sendong" (Washi) paid a visit to my hometown and gave horrific aftermath as many lives were taken when the flood level arises surpasses even a two story houses. Fortunately, we were spared as the storm only touches certain but many areas in my city. Many families lost relatives, shelter, homes, everything before Christmas Eve. It tears up everyone’s heart to see father and mother lost their children and children lost their parents. Certain villages were wipe out leaving only marks of aftermath. Houses turned into pieces, cars anywhere and worst, floating dead bodies. It’s like Cagayan de Oro City became a basin. Waters and lumbers from mountains were all coming down. The flood level risen up very, very fast washing away the city's vulnerable areas specially those near the Cagayan de Oro river. One island we call it "Isla de Oro" was totally wipe out in the picture. I couldn't imagine the children and adults leaving there. What did they do to succumb such horrific tragedy. So sad as many people were asleep, defenseless. Many were trapped, many were electrified

The "Sendong" (Washi) tragedy also serves as an eye opener, a reminder that we should always take good care of the nature around us. The once very green mountains now very vulnerable to landslide because of the many illegal businesses. There's illegal logging, mining and many others. Hope this will stop. Hope people will realize that life is valuable more than anything. Now "Kagay-anons", as we call ourselves will try to move on after such a terrible events. We should always value life and always give thanks to the Lord because every day is a blessing.

Now, I’m back to my work routine here in SG. Soon my work contract ends and I am hoping that things will go smoothly. Praying always for good health and safety of my family. Despite of everything, in my heart I still want to live there. I love my city where I have grown up. “Kagay-anons” will remain friendly and cheerful despite of all. We will continue to move on and Cagayan de Oro City will still be known as “The City OF Golden Friendship”.

Happy New Year to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment